Sugarlaw has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in about 2 seconds.

If not, visit
http://www.sugarlaws.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Sweet Dumpling Squash

This is usually my recipe for acorn squash, but the farmer at the market on Sunday told me I could cook these the same way, and they would taste better. Who am I to argue with that? Sweet dumpling squash is a little milder than acorn, and I thought the flesh was a little heartier, but maybe I just haven't had fresh squash in a while!

I made mine in the microwave (I will do almost anything to avoid slicing up a raw squash), steamed with a little bit of water so it wouldn't dry out. But, you could also roast a pan of 4 of them if you wanted to use them for a bigger group.

Sweet Dumpling Squash

INGREDIENTS:
1 medium sized sweet dumpling (or acorn) squash
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Poke squash 4 or 5 times with a chef's knife, creating 1" slits in the skin. Cut where you would slice off the top of the squash, but do not cut all the way through.
2. Microwave squash in a small bowl with 2 tbsp of water below it, for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from microwave. Slice off the top of the squash, using the previous slits as guides. Remove the seeds and discard. Delicately scoop the squash away from the sides, mix with butter and salt, and serve.

Serves one.

No comments: